1962 Dodge D100 build thread

D Series, Power Wagon, RAM
Franco
1 Barrel Carter BBS

1962 Dodge D100 build thread

Post by Franco » Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 am

Before I start with this thread I would like to make a few comments about this build:
I am not a purist, so I mix and match to make things work and improvise where I can, sometimes because of parts availability and sometimes because of financial constraints.
I am self taught in everything I do, so sometimes I do things my way, and not the best way.
This is my first build, so I try to learn a lot from the internet and ask other people's opinions and I learn from my mistakes.

Franco
1 Barrel Carter BBS

Re: 1962 Dodge D100 build thread

Post by Franco » Tue May 23, 2017 11:29 am

I love old vehicles especially old bakkies, and I always had the urge to build one for myself, but never had the time to do so. I finally decided that the time is right and started to browse online for a suitable candidate. The Fords were plentiful and ugly (except the pricey and sought after older models), and the Chev bakkies are really popular and expensive. So I started looking at the international and Dodge bakkies and knew it had to be one of them. I eventually found a 1962 Dodge D100 hiding in Toti and called up the owner to have a look. The bakkie had no load bin, very little rust (was parked in shed in Heidelberg and the owner retired in Toti), no engine, no gearbox, but the price was right so I loaded her up.
Resize`1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Franco on Tue May 23, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Franco
1 Barrel Carter BBS

Post by Franco » Tue May 23, 2017 11:58 am

Next thing I had to do was to start looking for an appropriate engine. The lexus V8 is a popular choice, but I really hate the low amount of torque this engine makes in stock form. I started looking at diesel engines, and the choices are very limited in this field. Our older local bakkies make too little power and torque and I did not feel like getting a degree to fit a newer common rail engine in there and making it work with all the electronics. I started looking at older and simpler truck engines and noticed the cummins 4bt and Detroit diesel engines. After searching for a few weeks I found a cummins 6BT on gumtree and decided that I would have to make it work. I did some research on the net and found that this swap has been done before, so it will fit in the D100 engine bay.
Resize 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Franco
1 Barrel Carter BBS

Post by Franco » Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 pm

After doing a little deeper inspection on my new "baby", I found something interesting. The chassis is from a newer 1970 and up D100 so I have double wishbone front suspension :D , but the cab mounts don't line up so I need to fix that. Time to see if I can fit the engine and gearbox.
Resize 3.jpg

Franco
1 Barrel Carter BBS

Post by Franco » Tue May 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Resize 4.jpg
Test fit to see what needs to get cut...
Resize 7.jpg
Had to cut out tunnel ALOT to get truck gearbox in there..
Resize 5.jpg
Cross member hitting sump so have to cut
Resize 8.jpg
Welded up with MIG

If u have the leaf springs in front, probably not necessary to cut cross member.
Also if u get the gearbox from a F250, no need to cut the tunnel out so bad.
I make due with what I have.

68barracuda
Site Admin

Post by 68barracuda » Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Well done avoiding the Lexus - and in the process me as dictator for live and my mafia - as has it no business in any American engine bay, and take it from me i do valuations on request - crossbreeding is frowned uppon - devalues the truck etc. Cummings not an Issue - modern mopar plant - even Perkins since those where the one's used back in the day -

Please continue
Regards,
Fanie Gerber
www.valiant50.co.za The Home of Mopar in South Africa